CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, August 25, 2008

attack of the larvae

It was a normal day. I was on my lunch break. All I wanted was come home, eat lunch, do a couple things around the house, and get back to work. As I walked in the door, I noticed a stench coming from the carport. Mmm ... trash. See, the garbage men pick up our trash in the alley behind our house. Which, from the back yard, is straight up hill. Taking the trash out requires putting the smelly trash in the trunk of your car and wheeling it around to the alley. As one might imagine, it is tempting to leave the trash in the carport for days at a time.

On this particular day, the trash had probably been out for roughly four days, and contained the leftovers of a cookout. Pork, and lots of it. Flies LOVE meaty trash. Flies get into meaty trash and procreate. So, to alleviate the smell I go to move the trash. From the hole that has formed in the bottom of the bag spill hundreds - literally, hundreds - of maggots. I can't remember if I screamed or gagged or both, but I definitely experienced some sort of freak out reaction. Their writhing, disgusting bodies were everywhere. According to Google, one of the things that kill maggots is furniture polish. So I grabbed the Pledge and soaked the suckers with it's lemony fresh venom. Larvae still wiggling, I gave up and went inside for lunch. Funny - the only thing I had to eat was a frozen meal that was made mostly of orzo pasta. Mmmm.

In an attempt to keep flies out of the trash, I hurried to the nearest Walmart to purchase a large trash can for the carport. A trash can which cost me $30. Not to mention a $10 roll of giant trash bags. Today when I went to put trash outside, what do ya know - maggots. In what I thought would be a maggot-free zone.

Maggots, I shake my fist at thee.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That fist has been busy of late.
That is repulsive. Worse that shuna breath. I think I just would have vomited on them. Because that's what I do.

Anonymous said...

i think i might vomit now.